As we all know, cancer is a serious non-communicable disease. It is a deadly leading disease to cause thousands of deaths annually around the world. Unlike other sicknesses, if cancer is seen in one part of the body, it can spread throughout the whole body. Due to this, the trauma occurs emotionally, physically, and mentally. Meanwhile, treatments like chemotherapy, radiation therapy, and surgery bring financial problems, because curing cancer is not an easy task.
The foods somehow contain a substance that may either raise or lower the risk of cancer. Most foods we eat can also be a big cause of cancer. Yet, we may not know how it causes and what type of food we consume spawns cancer in our body. To avoid it, we should all be aware of what foods causes us to get cancer and what food prevents us from it.
Furthermore, here are eight foods that causes cancer in a human body;
- Hydrogenated Oils: Hydrogenated oils or Trans fat is normally found in processed foods like baked goods, fried foods, butter, and refined vegetable oils. These are packed with unhealthy omega-6 fats, which is proved to have caused cancer, digestive problems, and heart diseases. Fully hydrogenated oils are fairly healthier than partially hydrogenated ones. Although, it shouldn’t be considered healthy overall. However, switching to healthy fats such as virgin coconut oil and olive oils are better than refined ones containing Trans fats.
- Microwave Popcorns: Microwaved popcorns are one of the highest unhealthy foods to cause lung cancer around the world. As the corn kernels are popped in a microwave, PFCs break down into perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA), a harmful chemical that commonly causes cancer. The flavoring from artificial butter in it is not healthy fat. Likewise, old fashion homecooked popcorn is healthier than store-bought ones.
- Processed Meat: Pieces of evidence have been gathered over the years that processed meats cause cancer. Similarly, there are three specific chemicals connected to colorectal cancer. One of them occurs naturally in meat whereas, other developed are added as part of the process to produce these meats. All these chemicals can bring damage to the colon and rectum. As the damage collects over time, the risk of cancer increases rapidly.
- Canned Foods: Canned Foods contain dangerous chemicals. Forty percent of the canned foods contain BPA, according to the Center of Environmental Health. It is a chemical related to cancer and birth deficiency. It might not be the ingredients in the food but the can itself poses a health risk.
- Refined Sugar: Consuming large portions of sugar or sugary foods can also associate an increase in the risk of cancer. When consuming too much sugar, it can also lead to obesity, diabetes, and heart disease. Refined sugar raises insulin level & promotes cancer growth. A better & healthier option instead of refined sugar would be coconut sugar, organic honey, or jaggery.
- Grilled Red Meat: Cooking meat at high temperatures, such as grilling can cause several unhealthy chemicals to form. Heterocyclic amines (HCAs) and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) are two of the known chemicals to cause cancer in animals and in humans, as well. As a rule, red meat should be only consumed three portions per week and it should be cooked at a proper temperature.
- Smoked Foods: As tasty as smoked food can be, these foods are also known to contain nitrate as a chemical addiction. Just as eating grilled foods, it turns into the N-nitroso compound which can toxic to our health. However, not all smoked foods are bad for us. We should keep in mind when purchasing smoked products and the process of cooking it.
- Alcohol: When the body consumes alcohol, a chemical compound called acetaldehyde can damage DNA, which may lead to cancer. If alcohol is consumed more, the risk of developing cancer in the body becomes much higher. So, we should limit the use of drinking alcohol or not drink at all.